Fort of Bramafam
Historical and architectural information:
The Fort of Bramafam, in Bardonecchia’s territory, was built between 1874 and 1889 with the aim to defend the Fréjus tunnel and the Turin-Modane railway, inaugurated in those years. Between 1883 and 1889 it was furnished with several artillery types, while during the First World War it was partially disarmed and used as a prison camp for Austrians engaged in the upkeep of military roads and the Fréjus Tunnel. In the Thirties two modern Alpine Wall cave resistance centres were added. In September, 1943, the Fort was occupied by a German guard which undermined the whole surrounding area for fear of actions of the part of the partisans. It was abandoned by the last Germans on the morning of April 27th, 1945. Once hostilities ended, the fort was given over and abandoned. The fortress, spread on 64,000 square metres, today is managed by the Association for History and Military Architecture Studies. Inside, one can see the reconstruction of about twenty late 19th century and Forties’ settings and a First World War trench, where part of the visit tour evolves.
In the museum area weapons, cannons and memories from forts of the whole alpine arc are on show, as well as one of the richest collections of uniforms of the Royal Army from 1885 to 1943. Since 1995, historical and environmental revaluation interventions of the fortified work have allowed people to recover at least a part of the compound, so as to make of it an interesting draw for historical and cultural tourism in the Valle di Susa and Piedmont.
Information for visits:
Morning: 09,50 a.m.-1,00 p.m. (last tour 12 o’clock);
Afternoon: 2,00-6,00 p.m. (last tour 5 o’clock).
For groups of more than 25 people: tours by booking from May to October.
Full price: 5,00 Euros
Reduced price: 3,50 Euros (groups, associations, over-65s, under-12s, servicemen, FAI passes, Touring Club and CAI)
Children up to 6 years of age: free