Historical and architectural information: On a height overlooking Prestino hamlet stands Bellaguarda Castle, accessible through an impervious path.
Its origins are very old: the tower, about 20 metres high, is made mention of in documents dating back to 1226, and the castle, built later, was first mentioned in 1340.
It’s belonged to the Venosta di Grosio family, at least since the XIV century. In 1487 the Grigioni burned it; it was rebuilt, then lived in (always by the Venostas) until 1712. In circa 1600 the municipality of Tovo bought the castle from the Bishop of Como for 6,000 golden coins. In 1928 the Antonietti family from Monza became its owner, having bought it from the municipality; in about 60 years such family took care of a partial renovation, and since 2005 it’s become the municipality’s property again.